Login
April 26, 2017
 MS4 Stormwater Management     
Illicit Discharge Minimize

Illicit Dicharges are any direct or indirect non-stormwater dicharges to the storm drain system.  However a few activities are exempt from this definition and are allowed; these exempted activities include: water line flushing, landscape irrigation/lawn watering, non-commercial vehicle washing, fire fighting activities, and dye testing (dye testing requires written notification to the Township).  There are many things that do not belong in our storm drains and streams.  If you see something that does not seem right report it to the Township for investigation.  A link to a reporting form can be found below.

Illicit Dicharges are any direct or indirect non-stormwater dicharges to the storm drain system.  However a few activities are exempt from this definition and are allowed; these exempted activities include: water line flushing, landscape irrigation/lawn watering, non-commercial vehicle washing, fire fighting activities, and dye testing (dye testing requires written notification to the Township).  There are many things that do not belong in our storm drains and streams.  If you see something that does not seem right report it to the Township for investigation.  A link to a reporting form can be found below.

Print  
 
Yellow Breeches Watershed Residents: Win a Free Native Garden! Minimize

Do you live in the Yellow Breeches watershed in Pennsylvania? If so, you may be eligible to win a free native garden for your backyard! Thanks to the Alliance for the Bay’s Reduce Your Stormwater program, 80% of the garden will be paid for by the Alliance, & now you have the chance to win the additional 20% paid for thanks to the Yellow Breeches Watershed Association! If you don’t win, you can still participate in the Alliance’s 80/20 cost-share program. To learn more about the guidelines of the contest, click here: YBWA Landscape Challenge 2017 flyer.  You can use this map to determine if you live in the Yellow Breeches, which is colored green.

To apply for either the YBWA contest or the 80/20 cost-share program, visit the Online Yard Design Tool and follow the steps to design your garden and submit an application!

Do you live in the Yellow Breeches watershed in Pennsylvania? If so, you may be eligible to win a free native garden for your backyard! Thanks to the Alliance for the Bay’s Reduce Your Stormwater program, 80% of the garden will be paid for by the Alliance, & now you have the chance to win the additional 20% paid for thanks to the Yellow Breeches Watershed Association! If you don’t win, you can still participate in the Alliance’s 80/20 cost-share program. To learn more about the guidelines of the contest, click here: YBWA Landscape Challenge 2017 flyer.  You can use this map to determine if you live in the Yellow Breeches, which is colored green.

To apply for either the YBWA contest or the 80/20 cost-share program, visit the Online Yard Design Tool and follow the steps to design your garden and submit an application!

Print  
 
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Minimize

MS4 Stormwater Management What Is It and Why Should We Care?

Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) are systems of publically owned pipes, roads, and ditches that transport stormwater runoff to local waterways.  In areas that the waterways have been designated “impaired”, municipalities are mandated by the federal government to have  permitting and a plan in place to improve the water quality of these impaired waterways. 
 
Monroe Twp. has 2 impaired streams within our borders, Trindle Springs Run and Yellow Breeches Creek.  It is our goal to educate residents,  especially those living in the areas surrounding these impaired waters, on what they can do to help reduce further pollution and improve the water quality of these waterways.   

 

10 Things You can Do to Prevent Stormwater Runoff Pollution

  • Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks and gutter
  • Never dump anything down storm drains or in streams
  • Vegetate bare spots in your yard
  • Compost your yard waste
  • Use least toxic pesticides, follow labels, and learn how to prevent pest problems
  • Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces, consider a reain garden to capture runoff
  • Take your car to the car wash instead of washing it in the driveway
  • Check your car for leaks and recycle your motor oil
  • Pick up after your pet
  • Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly
Print  
 
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) - Links Minimize
Print  
 
MS4 Ordinance Links Minimize
Print  
 
Cumberland County Conservation District Minimize
Print  
 
 Copyright 2009 by Monroe Township   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement